Wall Clock

I wanted to have a large wall clock for the living room to take up wall space. I found some but I thought they were kind of expensive, and one day it seriously just hit me! It was pure inspiration! I can make my own!!! Since I was on a tight budget it took me awhile to get the project completely done but it was worth it.

So I bought a clock kit at a craft store. I didn't take pictures as I was working on the project but I have some pictures that should help you see how I made it anyway. Here are some different clock kits you can buy. They have different sizes, and the black box you see is where the mechanisms and batteries go. Honestly, I had someone else put it together for me but I read the instructions so I know it's easy to assemble your self.



 I thought the mechanism box was kind of ugly, and I wanted to hide it. I bought this wood applique, and painted it black. Then I drilled a hole in the middle so the little screw coming from the mechanism box was sticking through. Then finished assembling it by attaching the hands of the clock.


This isn't how mine looks but it's very similar, and I wanted you to see how much better it looks when you have something to hide the box.


Ok the tricky part was figuring out how to get this thing to stick to the wall. I tried different things, and then on a paint-buying errand to Lowe's I happened to ask one of the employees what they suggested. He told me about heavy duty Velcro strips you can buy that will stand up to humidity. The hands and mechanism thing in the picture above doesn't actually weigh a lot but if it gets top heavy or unbalanced then it throws the hand rotations off. It might not make so much sense in writing but believe me. Just get the Velcro strips. Cut a piece the size that will fit onto the back of the box but smaller so you can't see the velcro when it's mounted on the wall.


Once it's mounted on the wall, then you can figure out where the hours are. There's probably some scientific or technical way to make sure it's even or something but I just eye-balled it. For the four main hours I got picture frames, and put my own custom art inside. If you're not artistic you could put all kind of things in the frames like scrapbook paper, DVD/movie covert artwork, maps, etc. Ive actually been using some of the photos from inside CD albums for a new project so that would be cool especially if you wanted to do like a jazz theme room or something. Get your Frank Sinatra CD and use the insert from there as artwork.

For my custom artwork I used scrapbook paper and then collaged different shapes etc. You'll see what I mean :) The bird one is my favorite though.







I knew I wanted to put little mirrors for the other hours but didn't get around the buying or even looking for some. Then one of my friends gave me a bunch of random, leftover art supplies she had, and magically she had the little mirrors that were the perfect size!!!! I used adhesive gel to stick to the wall. It's clear, gel that comes in sheets you can cut in different sizes.




Everyone loves this when they see it the first time, and it makes me smile so much when I tell them I did it myself!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Side Table Makeover

Stools to Nightstands